The British Lung Foundation have just published the final report from a three year epidemiological study looking at the impact of lung disease in the UK. In addition, it reports on 15 specific lung conditions, including: Asthma, CF, COPD, Lung Cancer, Obstructive Sleep Apnoea, Pneumonia and other LRTIs, Pulmonary Embolism. The report is a rich source of data and statistics for lung disease.
- Lung disease is one of the top three killer diseases in the UK
- 115,000 people a year die from lung disease – 1 person every 5 minutes
- Mortality figures are roughly the same as 10 years ago, yet heart disease has fallen 15%
- 1 in 5 people in the UK have been diagnosed with a lung disease
- Every day, 1,500 new people are diagnosed with a lung disease
The report is entitled, The Battle for Breath: the impact of lung disease in the UK, and proposes a 6-point action plan to improve respiratory health in the UK.
1st June 2016